The last season of the ALMS in 2013.
For the last time we’re seeing the LMP1 prototypes in North America endurance racing.
The ALMS and the Grand Am will merger next season to the USCR.
So this year is a very special year for North American Motorsport.
So everyone from every class is wants to win the championship in their class.
Pikket vs. Dyson vs. Rebillion vs. Delta Wing in LMP1 and ESM vs. Level 5 in LMP2.
The LMPC will be close again and the GTE will be though as ever.
SRT, Corvette, Porsche, BMW, Aston Martin and Ferrari are battling for the last ALMS GTE title.
The calender stays the same as last years, with the classic season opener in Sebring, than with classy racing tracks like Mazda Laguna Seca, Road America or Lime Rock and of course for the big season finale at Road Atlanta- The Petit Le Mans.
Some memorable moments from the ALMS history:
2013 Race calender
Sebring 12h (11-16th March)
Long Beach (with Indycar) (19-20th April)
Mazda Laguna Seca (9-11th May)
Lime Rock (5-6th July)
Mosport (19-21st July)
Road America (9-11 August)
Baltimore (with Indycar) (30-31st August)
Circuit of the Americas (with WEC) (19-21st September)
VIR (3-5th October)
Petit Le Mans (16-19th October)
Sebring 12h Preview
The 61st Sebring 12h wil be the last that has been held of the American Le Mans Series.
The ALMS is helding this endurance race since 1999.
So overall 42 cars are coming to one of the biggest endurance race in the world, but without the field of the WEC though.
I will now show who are the favourites to win this race.
Audi has the biggest chances to win the race.
They won this race from 2000-2008 and 2012.
Audi revised their R18 for 2013, especially in the aerodynamics.
Audi will use two R18 for Sebring, driven by Fassler/Treluyer/Jarvis and the 2nd car by di Grassi/Kristensen/McNish.
Rebillion are the best privatiers in the LMP1 class.
This Lola B12/60 has an reliable Toyota engine, so it shouln’t be a problem to claim the 12 hours.
But Rebillion is 2 seconds off the pace, set by Audi so i can’t see a realistic chance for a pole, but for win?
Maybe, if McNish is driving his R18 against the tire barrier like he did in FP1 or of course a technical failure.
The Rebillion-Lotus-Lola-Toyota will be driven by Beche/Cheng/Belicchi and Prost/Heidfeld/Jani.
Pikket won the ALMS title last year, so they know how to win races especially the Sebring 12h.
I don’t think that Dyson as an chance to beat them, see last season.
The HPD ARX-03c is way faster.
This car will driven by Graf/Luhr/Dumas
Start list of the 61st Sebring 12 hour:
Fassler/Treluyer/Jarvis Audi R18 e-tron quattro
di Grassi/Kristensen/McNish Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Graf/Luhr/Dumas HPD ARX-03c
Prost/Heidfeld/Jani Lola B12/60
Beche/Cheng/Belicchi Lola B12/60
Dyson/Smith/Leitzinger Lola B12/60
Meyrick/Pla Delta Wing LM12
Tucker/Hunter-Reay/Pagenaud HPD ARX-03b
Tucker/Franchitti/Briscoe HPD ARX-03b
Kimber-Smith/Zugel/Lux Zytek Z11SN
Brown/van Overbeek/Lazzaro HPD ARX-03b
Bennett/Braun/Wilkins ORECA FLM09
Marcelli/Cumming/Johansson ORECA FLM09
Drissi/Mitchell/Ducote ORECA FLM09
Nunez/Shears/Heinemeier Hansson ORECA FLM09
Junqueira/Popow/Ende ORECA FLM09
Schultis/Simon/Kaffer ORECA FLM09
Cheng/Guasch/Ostella ORECA FLM09
Bruni/Beretta/Malucelli Ferrari 458 Italia
Turner/Mucke/Senna Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Gavin/Milner/Westbrook Corvette ZR1
Auberlen/Martin/Müller J. BMW Z4
Müller D./Hand/Edwards BMW Z4
Henzler/Sellers/Tandy Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
Magnussen/Garcia/Taylor Corvette ZR1
Dalziel/Farnbacher/Goossens SRT Viper GTS-R
Bomarito/Kendall/Wittmer SRT Viper GTS-R
Miller/Holzer/Lietz Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
Sweedler/Bell/Keen Ferrari 458 Italia
Dalla Lana/Johnson/Lamy Aston Martin V12 Vantage
GTC (IMSA GTC Cup Challenge):
MacNeil/Bleekemolen/von Moltke Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
Sebring International Raceway:
Length: 3.74 miles (6.02 km)
Lap Record: 1:43.274 (Sebastian Bourdais, Peugoet 908 HDI FAP 2009)
Facebook: Sebring International Raceway
The name of the mergerd series between the ALMS and the Grand-Am will be the United Sports Car Racing.
The class names will be:
P-Prototype: Daytona Prototype, LMP2 and the Delta Wing
PC-Prototype challenge: LMPC
GT Le Mans: GTE
GT Daytona: GT (from Grand Am)
GTC: Porsche 911 GTC
The calender of the new series will inclued the 24h of Daytona, Sebring 12 Hour, Circuit of the Americas, Watkins Glen, Petit Le Mans and street races like Long Beach, Detroit and Baltimore.
The IMSA has also a new logo.
But entries, fuel, Prototype regualtions will be confirmed through the year.
The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron and the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series series are coming together in 2014.
Today in 1 hour the ALMS and the Grand Am will reveal the unified series name, logo, branding and the class names.
You can see the reveal live on Grand-Am.com
Also follow ALMS on Twitter for updates during the reveal.
Ganassi-BMW squad Juan Pablo Montoya, Charlie Kimball, Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas won after 678 laps the 51st Rolex 24h of Daytona, the season opener of the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series ahead of the Wayne Taylor Racing Chevy Corvette from Ryan Hunter-Reay, Max Angelelli and Jordan Taylor.
Montoya wins for the 3rd time after 2007 and 2008, for Pruett it’s already the 5th win after 1994, 2007, 2008 and 2011, he equals with Hurley Haywood.
In GT class Alex Job Racing drivers Filipe Albuquerque, Oliver Jarvis, Edoardo Mortara and Dion von Moltke won in a Audi R8 ahead of the APR drivers Marc Basseng, Rene Rast, Frank Stippler and Ian Baas.
In the new GX class Naptelon-Porsche won with Camache/Donohue/Lewis/Norman.
It was a spectacular race with a DP (Daytona Prototype) lead battle in the last three hours.
In GT class Markus Winkelhock in the Rum Bum Audi R8 was on second position until the last lap when he run out of fuel and was ending the race with the 7th position.
The new GX class with cars with alternative engines and technologies had only six cars including three Naptelon Porsche Cayman S and three Mazda 6 from the Speed Source team, But the Mazda 6 with the Diesel engine didn’t had so much speed, actually it was the slowest car of the field. Mazda should have invested in the LMP2 Diesel eingine for Le Mans this year than for a GX car. And the Grand Am ist the only series that has this class.
The 51st Daytona 24h was the last in his current form. Than next year are ALMS and Grand Am doing one North American Sports Car series mergue. So we’re seeing LMP2 and GTE cars driving in Daytona, this will be exciting.
The next round of the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series 2013 is on the 2nd March at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.
Results from the Daytona Prototypes:
01. 01 Ganassi-BMW (Kimball/Montoya/Pruett/Rojas) – 709 Runden
02. 10 Wayne-Taylor-Chevrolet (Angelelli/Hunter-Reay/Taylor) – +21.921
03. 60 Shank-Ford (Allmendinger/Ambrose/Negri/Pew/Wilson) – +55.585
04. 9 Action-Express-Chevrolet (Barbosa/Fittipaldi/Frisselle/Rockenfeller) – 1 Runde
05. 90 Spirit-of-Daytona-Chevrolet (Garcia/Gavin/Taylor/Westbrook) -12
06. 2 Starworks-Ford (Bourdais/Dalziel/McNish/Popow) -13
07. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Chevrolet (Fogarty/Gidley/Gurney/Law) -14
08. 5 Action-Express-Chevrolet (Barbosa/Fittipaldi/Friselle/Nasr/Piquet Jr.) -21
09. 42 Sahlen-BMW (Cameron/Nonnamaker/Pagenaud) -45
10. 3 8Star-Chevrolet (Davidson/Lamy/Minassian/Potolicchio/Sarrazin) -92
11. 02 Ganassi-BMW (Dixon/Franchitti/Hand/McMurray) -115
12. 50 Highway-to-Help-BMW (Beck/de Quesada/Defoor/James/Pace) -192
13. 6 Shank-Ford (Cumming/Concalvez/Valiante/Yacaman) -201
14. 8 Starworks Ford (Baron/Bellarosa/Charouz/Hartley/Mayer/Perez) -268
15. 43 Sahlen-BMW (Junqueira/Nonnamaker/Nonnamaker/Sahlen) -287
16. 27 BTE-Ford (Anassis/Massari/Peterson) -405
17. 77 Doran-Ford (Bennett/Braun/Lowe/Tracy) -423
Results from the GT class:
01. 24 Alex Job (Albuquerque/Jarvis/Mortara/von Moltke) – Audi R8 – 678 Runden
02. 52 APR (Baas/Basseng/Rast/Stippler) – Audi R8 – +1.476
03. 69 AIM (Assentato/Lazzaro/Longhi/Wilkins) – Ferrari 458 – +14.057
04. 63 Scuderia Corsa (Balzan/Beretta/Frezza/Pier Guidi) – Ferrari 458 -+31.642
05. 44 Magnus (Amindo/Lally/Lietz/Potter) – Porsche GT3 – +2.351
06. 23 Alex Job (Bleekemolen/Faulkner/Holzer/MacNeil) – Porsche GT3 – +18.249
07. 13 Rum-Bum-Racing (Biela/Haase/Plumb/Winkelhock) – Audi R8 -1 Runde
08. 56 AF/Waltrip (Aguas/Bowyer/Kauffman/Waltrip) – Ferrari 458 -1 Runde
09. 03 Extreme Speed (Brown/Hedlund/Sharp/van Osterbeek) – Ferrari 458 -5
10. 17 Burtin (Baldwin/Burtin/Farnbacher/Ragginger/Renauer) – Porsche GT3 -6
11. 62 Snow/Wright (Bachler/Maassen/Seefried/Snow/Snow) – Porsche GT3 -10
12. 51 APR (Bell/Empringham/Farano/Figge/Lacey) – Audi R8 -11
13. 59 Brumos (Davis/Keen/Lieb/Sellers) – Porsche GT3 -15
14. 72 Park Place (Cole/Dumolin/Phipps/Skeen/Vess) – Porsche GT3 -21
15. 45 Magnus (Boden/Carter/Espenlaub/Plumb/Putman) – Porsche GT3 -22
16. 73 Park Place (Graeff/Hart/Lindsey/Long/Pumpelly) – Porsche GT372 -25
17. 78 Racers Edge (Camarillo/Fuentes/Peralta/De Lara) – Mazda RX-8 -44
18. 94 Turner (Auberlen/Dalla Lana/Johnson/Martin/Said) – BMW M3 -47
19. 80 TruSpeed (Collins/Fogg/Haacker/Walsh) – Porsche GT3 -51
20. 66 TRG (Bergmeister/Farnbacher/Keating/Wittmer) – Porsche GT3 -56
21. 61 Risi/AIM (Fisichella/Papis/Segal/Vilander) – Ferrari 458 -64
22. 19 Muehlner (Costabal) – Porsche GT3 -68
23. 57 Stevenson (Edwards/Liddell/Magnussen/Milner) – Camaro GT.R -79
24. 64 Scuderia Corsa (Longo/Matos/Negrao/Serra) – Ferrari 458 -98
25. 30 NGT/Momo (Cisneros/Edwards/Giermaziak/Pilet) – Porsche GT3 -136
26. 67 TRG (Collard/Dumas/Jonsson/Krohn) – Porsche GT3 -220
27. 20 Dener (Figueiredo/Junior/Lunardi/Mauricio/Visconde) – Porsche GT3 -292
28. 21 Dener (Barrichello/Figueireido/Giaffone/Kanaan/Mauricio) – Porsche GT3 -326
29. 68 TRG (Breukers/Lewis/Michaelian/van de Laar) – Porsche GT3 -394
30. 18 Muehlner (Estre/Thomas) – Porsche GT3 -450
31. 32 Konrad/Orbit (Christensen/Engelhart/Tandy/Willsey) – Porsche GT3 -497
32. 31 Marsh (Achenbach/Curren/Davis/Said) – Corvette – 542
33. 87 Vehicle Technologies (Ave/Heylen/Peterson) – Dodge Viper -677
Results from the GX class:
01. 16 Napleton (Camache/Donohue/Lewis/Norman) – Porsche Cayman – 635 Runden
02. 22 Bullet (Clay/O’Young/Rogers/Thomas/Thmpson) – Porsche Cayman -10
03. 38 BGB (Davis/Eversley/Foss/Mosing/Tecce) – Porsche Cayman -21
04. 70 Speedsource (Bomarito/Franchitti/Hinchcliffe/Tremblay) – Mazda6 GX -584
05. 25 Speedsource (Carbonell/Long/O’Doski/Whitis) – Mazda6 GX -590
06. 00 Speedsource (Miller/Nunez/Pigot/Terada/Vautier) – Mazda6 GX -602