Tag Archives: confirmed

MotoGP: CONFIRMED, Crutchlow to Ducati for 2014/15

Tech 3 Yamaha rider Cal Crutchlow will join the Ducati factory for the MotoGP seasons 2014 and 2015. He will replace the 2006 MotoGP champion Nicki Hayden.

Now MotoGP fans will know that Ducati isn’t very succesfull- actually since Stoner left the team back in 2010.

So at the moment the Tech 3 Yamaha would be the better choice. So why did Crutchlow left Tech 3?

Well because first of all, it’s a factory ride, he wanted that deadly.

He asked Yamaha for a factory ride, but well that’s impossible at the moment, were current champion Lorenzo and MotoGP legend Rossi are in the team until 2014/15.

And Crutchlow is confident that recent changes at Ducati (Audi bought Ducati last year) will improve the team.

But the actual point why he left is, obviously, he gets more MONEY.

It’s obvious that you get more money when you drive for a factory team than a Sattelite team like Tech 3.

But hey, maybe Crutchlow can make a Stoner and turn this team to a competitive championship winning team, who knows?

 

Official statement coming on Friday.

Advertisements

Marussia signs Luiz Razia for second 2013 Formula 1 seat

Luiz Razia has secured the Marussia Formula 1 seat left vacant by Timo Glock’s pre-season departure from the team.

Brazilian 23-year-old Razia joins fellow GP2 graduate Max Chilton in an all-rookie line-up at the squad.

Razia will drive the new Marussia in Wednesday’s Jerez test session, although the team will start the day late following Chilton’s crash due to suspension failure on Tuesday.

“The past two seasons in GP2 have been all about proving that I have what it takes and that I’m ready,” said Razia.

“This coming season will be all about rewarding the faith the team have shown in me.

“This is an important year for the Marussia F1 team in terms of maintaining the momentum from a very positive 2012 season. I look forward to making a valuable contribution to that.”

Razia became a GP2 title contender last year in his fourth season in the series, eventually finishing runner-up to Davide Valsecchi.

Team boss John Booth said he had always expected Razia to blossom after initially hiring him as reserve driver for the then Virgin branded F1 team in 2010.

“We had every expectation that he would progress to the extent that he has,” said Booth.

”’He is a very quick and tenacious driver who battled hard to the runner-up spot last year.

“Together with Max, we are fielding a young but incredibly ambitious pairing and we look forward to seeing what they can achieve.”

Marussia’s announcement means that the only vacancy remaining on the 2013 F1 grid is the second Force India seat.

In addition to his 2010 run with Virgin/Marussia (pictured), Razia has also tested F1 cars with Toro Rosso, Force India and Caterham.

2013 Formula 1 line-up so far:

Red Bull     Sebastian Vettel  Mark Webber
Ferrari      Fernando Alonso   Felipe Massa
McLaren      Jenson Button     Sergio Perez
Lotus        Kimi Raikkonen    Romain Grosjean
Mercedes     Lewis Hamilton    Nico Rosberg
Sauber       Nico Hulkenberg   Esteban Gutierrez
Force India  Paul di Resta     seat still available
Williams     Pastor Maldonado  Valtteri Bottas
Toro Rosso   Daniel Ricciardo  Jean-Eric Vergne
Caterham     Charles Pic       Giedo van der Garde
Marussia     Max Chilton       Luiz Razia

Giedo Van der Garde secures second Caterham F1 seat

Giedo Van der Garde has won the battle for the second race seat at Caterham for 2013, the team confirmed on Friday.

Following months of discussions, the Dutchman has got the nod over Heikki Kovalainen, Vitaly Petrov, Bruno Senna and Luiz Razia to become Charles Pic’s team-mate this season.

Van der Garde, who was Caterham’s reserve driver last year and won races for its GP2 team, already has F1 mileage under his belt after driving in several Friday Practice sessions as well as at the young driver test.

The Dutchman had also been part of the Spyker team’s line-up in 2007, carrying out testing duties for the squad.

Speaking about his move in to a race seat, van der Garde said: “I know I am ready to take the step up to F1 and all the work I have done throughout my career, and particularly in the last year with this team, has brought me to my ultimate goal.

“Throughout 2012 I was able to fully integrate myself into the team, both through the FP1 sessions I ran at a number of tracks that were then new to me, and as reserve driver, fully embedded with the team throughout the season.

“Now I can continue to learn at the highest level of motorsport and show that I am ready for F1. I cannot wait to start work.”

Caterham’s decision to sign van der Garde and Pic is a departure from its previous mantra of securing experienced talent to help it in F1, and will have been motivated in part by financial considerations.

Team principal Cyril Abiteboul said last year that he was keen to bring on younger men now – which has been proven with his choice for 2013.

“We continue to grow as a team and we are committed to giving young talent across the motorsport industry the chance to grow with us and this is Giedo’s opportunity to show he deserves his place at the very highest level of global motorsport,” he said.

Van der Garde’s appointment, with Razia now set to take the second seat at Marussia, means that Kovalainen, Petrov and Senna all appear to be without F1 drives for 2013

Giedo van der Garde’s route to F1

Nationality: Dutch
Age: 27

F1 tests: Super Aguri (2007), Spyker/Force India (2007/08), Renault (2009), Caterham (2012, inc Friday practice)

GP2: 2009-12 with iSport (’09), Addax (’10-11), Caterham (’12). Five wins, best championship result of fifth in 2011.

Formula Renault 3.5: 2007-08 with Victory (’07) and P1 (’08). Champion in 2008, five wins.

Formula 3 Euro Series: 2004-’06 with Signature (’04), Rosberg (’05), ASM (’06). One win, best championship result of sixth in 2006.

Pre-2003: Karting and Formula Renault Eurocup

2013 Formula 1 line-up so far:

Red Bull     Sebastian Vettel  Mark Webber
Ferrari      Fernando Alonso   Felipe Massa
McLaren      Jenson Button     Sergio Perez
Lotus        Kimi Raikkonen    Romain Grosjean
Mercedes     Lewis Hamilton    Nico Rosberg
Sauber       Nico Hulkenberg   Esteban Gutierrez
Force India  Paul di Resta     seat still available
Williams     Pastor Maldonado  Valtteri Bottas
Toro Rosso   Daniel Ricciardo  Jean-Eric Vergne
Caterham     Charles Pic       Giedo var der Garde
Marussia     Max Chilton       seat still available

Credits: Autosport.com


Williams’ to miss first test with new FW35 car

Williams will not be debuing their 2013 challenger, the FW35, until the second pre-season test, the team confirmed on Friday. 

The team will be present at the first test which kicks off at Jerez on February 5th, but they will run their 2012 car with 2013 livery’s testing parts.

The launch of the FW35 will take place at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona on February 19th, the first day of the second test.

Valtteri Bottas and Pastor Maldonado will be their driver lineup for the Williams team this year.

Romain Grosjean confirmed at Lotus for 2013

Romain Grosjean will stay at Lotus in 2013 © Sutton Images

Romain Grosjean will stay at Lotus in 2013 after the team confirmed he will partner Kimi Raikkonen again next year.

A delay in an official announcement had aroused some suspicion that Grosjean might be replaced, but on Monday evening the team confirmed that the Frenchman would stay next season.

“Romain is a great talent and we are pleased that he is continuing with us for a second season,” team principal Eric Boullier said. “With the continuity of two exceptional drivers like Romain and Kimi we are well placed to build on our strong 2012 with even better results in the year ahead. Both drivers worked very well together in their first year as team-mates, and I think there is the potential of even better things from the season ahead. We were regular visitors to podiums in 2012 and we certainly intend to continue with this trend in 2013.”

Grosjean scored three podiums and 96 points in 2012, although he was banned from the Italian Grand Prix after causing a start-line accident at Spa-Francorchamps. He said he was looking forward to repaying his team’s faith in him in 2013.

“It’s fantastic for me to be continuing with Lotus F1 Team for 2013. It’s superb to have the support of everyone at Enstone. I’m really looking forward to rewarding their faith when we take to the track in Australia. I learnt a lot in my first full season in Formula One and my aim is to put these lessons into practice with stronger and more consistent performance on track next year.

“There are a lot of exciting developments occurring behind the scenes at Enstone and I am very excited with the prospect of the E21. I’ve already had my seat fitting and spoken with all the personnel involved with the build of the new car; I just can’t wait to get behind the wheel.”

 

Source: ESPN F1

Charles Pic confirmed at Caterham for 2013 and beyond

Caterham have confirmed that they have signed Charles Pic on a multi year contract for the 2013 season onwards.

“It is clear that he is a special talent,” said Caterham’s new team boss Cyril Abiteboul. 

At present, it is unclear as to who will be partnering Charles Pic at Caterham next season. Heikki Kovalainen and Vitaly Petrov currently drive for the team however it is rumoured that Dutchman Giedo van der Garde will be given the drive.

Charles Pic’s replacement at Marussia has yet to be confirmed however it is more likely to be  British driver Max Chilton.

Esteban Gutierrez confirmed at Sauber, Frijns reserve

By Phillip Horton on Friday, November 23, 2012

Esteban Gutierrez has been confirmed as Sauber’s second driver in 2013.

The Mexican will move up from GP2 to partner Nico Hulkenberg in an all new line up for the Swiss team.

“Esteban has already been part of the team for a long time and we have followed his career very closely,” said Team Principal Monisha Kaltenborn. “In 2010 we signed him up as an affiliated driver, and in 2011 and 2012 he was our test and reserve driver. We mapped out his path to Formula One step by step. Esteban has great talent and now he’s ready to take the leap. We are in no doubt we have a strong driver pairing in place for the 2013 season with Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutiérrez.”

Esteban Gutiérrez commented: “After three years working with Sauber I feel very grateful for all the attention I have received from everyone in the team and for all their input, which has allowed me to develop into a Formula One driver in a very progressive way”.

“Now, after experiencing other categories of racing as an introduction to Formula One, this is the start of the real challenge to succeed at the pinnacle of motor sport. The support from my family, as well as from my sponsors, has been a key factor in getting there and I am very grateful to everyone who has been involved in our project. It will be a great pleasure to be racing in the same team as an experienced driver like Nico Hülkenberg. He will be a good reference point for me and will push me to adapt quickly to F1 competition so we can develop the car together with the team in the best way.”

Reigning FR3.5 champion Robin Frijns joins the team as a reserve driver.

“Monitoring Robin’s racing career“, said Kaltenborn, “makes it easy to spot his potential. This was the reason we gave him the chance to drive the Sauber C31-Ferrari at the Young Driver Days in Abu Dhabi. He managed this very well. We will now carefully guide him to Formula One. This is a long way, but Robin has got the skills to do that successfully.”

Robin Frijns said: “I’m very happy the Sauber F1 Team has given me this opportunity. I would like to thank Monisha Kaltenborn and Peter Sauber for their belief and trust in me by signing me to join their team as a test and reserve driver. With this opportunity I will try to help the team as much as possible and get the chance to learn how Formula 1 works in an extremely professional environment. I am already very much looking forward to getting the 2013 season started and working together with the team.”

Kaltenborn also paid tribute to Sauber’s current racers.

“I would very much like to say a few words about Kamui Kobayashi as well. Over the last three years Kamui has shown us he is not only a fierce competitor on the track, but also a wonderful person and fantastic team player. Every member of our team has the greatest respect for him, and his podium in Japan was a particularly emotional moment for all of us”.
“This has not been an easy decision for us to take, but we have committed ourselves to a new beginning and our time with Kamui will come to an end after the final two races of the season. We wish Kamui all the best for the future. Our thanks also go to Sergio Pérez, who has claimed three podiums for the team so far and now has the opportunity at McLaren-Mercedes to display his immense talent with one of the most successful teams in Formula One history. We would also like to wish Sergio all the best and every success for the future”.
Source: F1zone.net