Peter Sauber rethinking retirement plans

image

Peter Sauber rethinking retirement plans By Editor on Friday, June 29, 2012 Peter Sauber has backtracked slightly, having set the scene for his retirement. The Swiss team’s founder and boss has said numerous times over the last couple of years that “I don’t want to be sitting on the pitwall with my headphones on at 70″. Before the 2012 season is out, he will turn 69. He has now laid the foundation for Sauber’s future beyond him, handing over a third of the team to future team boss Monisha Kaltenborn, and installing his son Alex as a prominent director. “I’m going to stay at least until we are able to stabilise the team in a financial sense,” Peter Sauber said last year. “I want to lead the team back into a secure position and establish it at a good level. If I succeed, my mission is fulfilled.” In the wake of BMW’s shock departure, that time has arguably now arrived, with Sergio Perez bringing solid backing from Mexico and now regularly standing on the podium with the competitive C31 car. But Peter Sauber could be backtracking. When told about his age-of-70 retirement deadline, Sauber said on Austrian television Servus TV: “The exact date is still unclear.” He indicated he has thought about the rigours of retirement, and might prefer life in the fast lane after all. “To watch the races only on television is the worst thing of all” Source: F1zone.net

Advertisements

McLaren considers Ferrari pull-rod for 2013 car

image

McLaren considers Ferrari pull-rod for 2013 car

By Editor on Friday, June 29, 2012

Photo credit: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

McLaren is considering following Ferrari’s lead and introducing innovative pull-rod front suspension for its 2013 car.

That is the claim of the Spanish sports daily Marca, citing the information of multiple Italian specialist sources.

Ferrari raised eyebrows early this year when the aggressive F2012 was launched with pull-rod suspension: a configuration not seen since Fernando Alonso raced a Minardi more than a decade ago.

The Italian team’s early struggles sparked rumours Ferrari could scrap the experiment, but the subsequent giant strides of progress have now reportedly attracted McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe’s attention.

Marca said Lowe “is paying close attention to the front of the Ferrari in his preliminary studies for the MP4-28″.

“He understands it could be a good solution in allowing more air to the diffuser”.

Ferrari test driver Marc Gene has been driving the F2012 for aerodynamic straightline tests this week at the Idiada facility in Spain.

Team president Luca di Montezemolo said this week Ferrari cannot relax even though Alonso, the only multiple race winner in 2012, is comfortably leading the world championship.

“Yes, I am worried, because I expect three very tough races at Silverstone, Hockenheim and Budapest and because we have seen (at Valencia) that Red Bull is very strong,” he said.

“If we want to achieve our goals then we must make a step forward.”

Source: F1zone.net

Politics making life ‘difficult’ for Red Bull says Dr. Helmut Marko

image

Dr. Helmut Marko insists life in the F1 paddock for Red Bull has become “really difficult” in recent times. The energy drink owned team has dominated the sport recent and is the reigning double champion, and according to owner Dietrich Mateschitz’s right-hand man, that is the source of the negative rumblings. There have been suggestions of cost-agreement cheating, regular technical infringements, and at Valencia recently both Marko and Sebastian Vettel suggested that the safety car was deployed chiefly to spoil Vettel’s big lead. Marko even intimated a double-standard had been applied when comparing Vettel’s drive-through penalty for using DRS in Barcelona to Michael Schumacher’s stewards escape last weekend. “When you think about the course of a race weekend, it all sounds so nice and so simple, but it’s very different in reality,” said the Austrian. “There is so much politics involved,” Marko told motorline.cc. “If Martin Whitmarsh wishes me a pleasant day, I get really nervous and wonder what is up.” He insisted that Red Bull’s place in the F1 paddock is a difficult one. “The first reason is that we are not a car maker or a traditional racing car constructor. What hurts even more is that along with Ferrari we have reached a super deal with Bernie Ecclestone, and not just in the budget but also in the prestige. “That’s why our life is really difficult at the moment,” said Marko. Source: F1zone.net

Dani Clos to run in FP1 during British GP

image

HRT reserve driver Dani Clos will take to the track next weekend at the British Grand Prix.

Clos took part in first practice at the Spanish Grand Prix in May and will replace Narain Karthikeyan during the corresponding session in Britain.

“I’m very happy to step into the F112 once again in Silverstone, a place where I’ve got good memories since I’ve made the podium every time I’ve been in GP2″, said the Spaniard.

“After Barcelona I’ve really been looking forward to this new opportunity. The work we’re carrying out with the team is positive and I think that I can make a good contribution.”

Source: F1zone.net

Michael Schumacher hoping to continue momentum

image

Michael Schumacher is hoping to carry on his good form shown at the European Grand Prix. Schumacher, 43, finished on the podium in Valencia for the first time since 2006. “We want to take the momentum from our result in Valencia and put on a good show in Silverstone, especially because this is one of our home races”, he said. Nevertheless, Schumacher’s history at the circuit combined with the unique 2012 season has led to caution on the German’s behalf. “ I have many contrasting memories of this circuit; good, not so good and some that are even a little strange… as for how things will go this year, I’d prefer to wait and see.” Source: F1zone.net

Nico Rosberg targets Silverstone podium

image

Nico Rosberg says he is aiming to take a podium at the British Grand Prix. Rosberg, winner of the Chinese Grand Prix, has finished in sixth place in the previous two events. “I always love the atmosphere there [at Silverstone] over the weekend and the great British motorsport fans.” “My best result on this exciting track was third place so, of course, I will be hoping to top that but it’s so hard to make any predictions of performance this season” “ It’s a demanding track with a lot of high-speed corners dominating the layout, especially from Copse through Becketts to Stowe. It’s difficult to know how good we will be but I’m hopeful that we can achieve a good result” Source: F1zone.net

Overheating caused Renault’s Valencia failures on Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean’s cars

image

Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean’s retirements from the European Grand Prix were both caused by an overheating alternator, engine supplier Renault has confirmed, but the French car manufacturer is still uncertain about why the parts got too hot in the first place.

Renault has conducted a detailed examination of the Red Bull Racing and Lotus engines that failed in Valencia, and its conclusion points to the overheating parts cutting the electrical supply to the power units and forcing both drivers out.

But despite knowing what caused the engines to shut down, Renault is conducting further tests this week to work out why the overheating issue reared its head in the first place.

Renault Sport F1 deputy managing director Rob White said: “We’ve checked over the parts thoroughly now and it seems that there were no obvious reasons for the failure, so we are conducting further tests on the dyno at Viry to replicate conditions and double checking the findings.”

White said that investigations had concluded that the failures were not related to the mid-race safety car period – and in fact Vettel’s engine actually lasted longer than it would have done because it had a few laps running slower than normal.

“We had evidence that the alternator on Sebastian’s car was showing signs of overheating before the safety car period, but the slower speeds prolonged its life expectancy slightly,” he said.

“Of course, when Sebastian went back up to racing speed the problem stepped up again and the result is now well known. With Romain’s car, the problem occurred very suddenly some laps after the safety car had been withdrawn.”

Renault plans to implement some changes to the alternators for the next race at Silverstone, as well as using another supply batch in case that was a factor in the problem.

“We are looking at several solutions,” explained White. “The first is to use another batch of alternators for Silverstone across all our clients, or a slightly modified design.

“We are also looking at returning to an older specification of alternator from 2011. Then we are working across all our partner teams to potentially introduce some mechanical and cooling solutions, or changing a few settings on acceleration maps so the running is less severe.

“All of these will be in evaluated between now and Silverstone, plus we will also look at everything after Friday running and see what additional measures we may need to take.”

Source: Autosport F1